Boondocking is the act of camping outside of a designated or developed campground, that doesn’t have RV hookups. So, even if you can’t find an RV campground, with facilities, on your travels, boondocking can be your excuse for having a new experience, for a night or two, or more!
Potential boondocking sites would include:
- WalMart parking lots
- Truck Stops
- NASCAR races
- Ranch or Farm
- Federal and state campgrounds without water hookups
The size or type of your RV/camper may determine where you can boondock. Pop up and truck campers have the advantage of being able to get to remote camping sites. If you have a large 5th wheel or motor home, boondocking can be a little more difficult, but with some research, you can find places to accommodate your rig.
Some helpful hints for boondocking:
- Pre-plan/pre-cook your meals.
- Cook with gas. If you choose to cook on a fire, choose your location wisely. Gathering wood may be frowned upon.
- Water, bring bottles or jugs of drinking water to save the water in your fresh tank for washing and showering.
- Take short showers to extend the fresh tank. Use disposable dishes and utensils to limit dishwashing.
- Don’t dump dirty water in areas with ponds, rivers, water holes, etc.
- Use dish or dirty water for flushing purposes.
- Pre-wash fruits and vegetables while at a place with water hookups.
- Trash, many areas won’t have trash services so clean up after yourself, pack it out/pack it up!
- Human waste must be properly disposed of in campgrounds, you can use the cathole method (bring a small shovel).
- Battery charge, extend it by turning off your heater and lights at night. Minimize use of TV & other appliances. Bring extra blankets, sweaters, flashlights, etc.
- Solar panels and an inverter come in handy.
- Generators are great for extending RV camping trips, but bear in mind without a place to recharge, use is limited and can bother nearby campers.
- Propane supply can be extended by turning off your water heater and only use it when needed.
Useful Boondocking websites:
U.S. National Forest Campground Guide http://www.forestcamping.com
Free Campgrounds for RVs http://www.freecampgrounds.com
WalMart Boondocking Locator http://www.walmartlocator.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/
Welcome Boondockers https://www.boondockerswelcome.com
With an open heart and attitude, you’ll be able to create new adventures and fond memories with and for your family. Happy Traveling!
Pocono RV Sales and Service
610-863-2115 Service Dept.
We offer superior savings with great selection
–> Trailers –> Fifth wheels –> Pre-owned trades
–> Something for everybody!
Serving customers from the Lehigh Valley, Poconos PA
and surrounding NJ area.